Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Intuitive Grasp of Concepts

As a teacher of physics, primarily (also computers, general science, and music), I strive to instill an intuitive grasp of concepts in my students. Of course, this requires that I have an intuitive grasp of the concepts myself. I was delighted when a light bulb turned on in my head early one Sunday morning while reading Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos by Ian Stewart. I sat upright in bed and exclaimed "I get it!". (I had read Gleick's book Chaos but and learned much, but did not get that Eureka moment.) My wife, whom I had shaken awake to report the good news, prevented me from immediately calling a friend to see if he wanted to discuss fractals and chaos with me!

I feel I have an intuitive grasp of fractals and chaos, fuzzy logic, relativity, and quantum physics, but string theory eludes me. I am looking for a book that will help the light bulb turn on once again. I am presently reading, and highly recommend, Galileo's Finger by P.W. Atkins. The book is written beautifully, and takes me past my frontiers of knowledge. Perhaps when I reread the chapter on strings I will shout "Eureka".

No comments: