Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Congratulations US Congress ...

As a Canadian, I was pleased to see the Democrats prevail and pass a universal health care bill. Over the past year, I couldn't believe the vitriol from the Republicans. I was disgusted by the distortions, and misinformation, and outright lies about what the various versions of the bill contained and ramifications of ensuring that Americans can get access to health care.
I don't mind paying higher taxes than Americans in return for health care. One of my daughters had a brain tumor operation. No one asked for money for the operation and the three weeks in hospital. My other daughter went in for a seizure-caused dislocated shoulder. We just show our health card, and walk in. If I have a problem, I go to my doctor, flash my card, and that's it. The important thing is that it's the same for everyone, not just those that can afford insurance.

The fact that, in the US, some workers at insurance companies admitted that they automatically reject claims until appealed appalled me. I found it hard to believe that the country with the highest standard of living in the world wasn't embarrassed to see some of its citizens bankrupted by health problems, or worse, see some of its citizens having to forgo medical treatments because they were financially worse off.

That a country wouldn't take care of its citizens on such a basic issue as health care ... well, congratulations for seeing the light.

Shame on Republicans for NOT EVEN ONE voting for the bill. NOT EVEN ONE.

Defeating Obama was more important than doing the right thing for your country. I realize that Republicans will jump all over that statement, saying that they WERE doing the right thing for the country by voting against the bill. But it sure didn't look that way from here.



No comments: